Wednesday, September 21, 2016

A Vocal Healing

This is another little gem that came to me at the Toronto Writers Collective on Sept. 11, 2016. As with my previous writing from that group "The Peacock", I am sharing this in its original raw unedited, unpolished form. I do believe that the most profound healing comes to us in a way that is raw and unpolished. To me, this is what is authentic and real -- the real stuff of the Soul. 

The prompt that we were given in this case was: A Repeating Noise


                       A Repeating Noise
                                                       
The drum beats on and on.
Always the same beat.
Hypnotic, trance like.

The Shaman, already in his own trance,
Keeps beating the drum
Pounding Pounding POUNDING

Until I can stand it no more.
I run out, screaming,
"GET IT OUT OF MY HEAD".

                                                      The Shaman, startled,
                                                      Wakes up from his trance.
                                                      "Oh -- sorry" he says.

                                                     "I forgot anyone else was here."
                                                     "BUT I CAME TO YOU FOR A HEALING" I shout.
                                                     "HOW COULD YOU JUST FORGET ABOUT ME?"

                                                      The old man grins a toothless grin.
                                                      Then he chuckles.
                                                      Then he laughs outright.

                                                      Still shaking with laughter, he says,
                                                      "You told me you had lost your voice,
                                                      That you didn't know how to express yourself."

                                                      "Well" he says
                                                      "I think you just found your voice."

                                                      And then the Shaman sinks back into his trance,
                                                      Back into his own world.

No comments:

Post a Comment