Sunday, September 11, 2016

The Peacock

This little (revealing) piece I wrote came to me today at the Toronto Writers Collective after I looked at a photo of a peacock. I have chosen to leave this piece in its initial raw form rather than try to rewrite it in  proper" or structured prose or poetry. To me, writing or artwork that comes, unedited, directly from the heart and soul, is a great healer and has the capacity to deeply touch other hearts and souls. Once one tries to make it "perfect" or tries to polish it to a "proper" smoothness or shine, it then becomes something else -- something maybe more suitable to the commercial market. But the focus of this blog is healing and I believe that deep healing generally begins in that raw place in each of us.



Your huge, compelling brown eyes
Draw me in immediately.
You seem so present,
So in the moment.
I could fall in love.
Just by looking into those compelling brown eyes
I could fall totally under your spell.

But....I don't think that would be a good idea.

I pull myself out of
The charismatic pull of those eyes
And I look further.
I'm awestruck by your plumage.
So beautiful
It pulls me right in.
I'm overwhelmed by the beauty that is all around you.

I don't want to fall into this trap. I've been there before.

But you are so beautiful
I don't know how to find my way out.
You fill up the space so totally.

Your energy is like glue.

No comments:

Post a Comment